RARA-AVIS: Gores: Cases, 32 Cadillacs

From: K Montin ( kmontin@total.net)
Date: 17 Jul 2002

Goodbye Glasgow, hello San Francisco.

I wrote (should've raved) about Cons, Scams and Grifts recently. Typically, I got hold of 32 Cadillacs after that. Reading them in reverse order was not a disaster, but if you have the choice, start with 32 Cadillacs. I loved them both. A biggish cast of characters, both detectives and crooks, but their personalities are distinctive for the most part. As an aside, I noticed that he used one fairly unusual repo incident in both books.

Like miker, I've just finished Cases. I don't remember Penny's father dying twice. We get two explanations of his death, but both times he is said to have died before she was born.

The whole story takes only about six months, starting with graduation from Notre Dame and going until just after New Year's. There are so many murders I'd have had to take notes to remember them all. Our hero, the young detective in the making, spends the first half of the book making his way across the western U.S., seeking material for his writing, and the second half learning (very fast) to be a private detective.

The suspense was good, the characters interesting, but the tone is quite different from that of the two DKA novels featuring the Gypsies. Cases is about a guy getting hard boiled. The DKA crew is a bunch of tough guys, but the two stories are almost rollicking. In one of the intros, Gores says that he wanted to make it fun. Cases is not fun.

I've got Dead Man and Come Morning (both subtitled "a novel of suspense") to read in the next ten days. I'm not sure what to expect, except good writing.

On the author's list of works is the screenplay for 32 Cadillacs. Anyone know if a movie was ever made?

Karin