Re: RARA-AVIS: Geoffrey Homes, etc.

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 17 Jul 2002

.Bill wrote:

> We've recently had some posts about Geoffrey Homes, and I
> thought I'd see what Anthony Boucher had to say about him.
> My source was an indispensable book entitled The Anthony
> Boucher Chronicles: Reviews and Commentary 1942-1947, Volume
> II, The Week in Murder. It contains Boucher's reviews from
> the San Francisco Chronicle, and if you don't own the book,
> you certainly should. You'll find yourself making all kinds
> of lists of books you need to read. Check it out at
> http://www.ramblehouse.bigstep.com/.
>
> But I digress. Boucher liked Homes a lot, and his review of
> Build My Gallows High is one of several included in the
> book. ("All Cain's tense vigor and an added humanity and
> honesty."

I'd love to read the collected NY Times (?) columns printed during the paperback original era when he apparently routinely reviewed Gold Medal etc books. Do I remember correctly, was it Chandler who was pretty sour with Boucher over a bad review? I seem to remember reading Chandler dissing Boucher somewhere but by now regular readers would know how reliable my memory is.

Rene