RARA-AVIS: Abel's Cold Steel Rain

From: Larson, Craig ( Craig.Larson@tsjc.cccoes.edu)
Date: 15 Jul 2002

I, too, just finished this book recently. I enjoyed it, though not quite so much as his second book about Danny Chaisson, The Burying Field. Part of the problem, I think, is that Abel mentions plot points from Rain so often in Field that I almost felt as if I'd already read it. I thought The Burying Field was great, with believable characters and great attention to detail and setting. I read it almost immediately after James Lee Burke's latest and felt like it was the book I wish Burke had written (don't get me wrong-- I recognize Burke's talent and genius, but he is writing the same book over and over and over). I've tracked down two of Abel's earlier books, Bait and The Blue Wall, based on my experience with his Chaisson books, but have yet to start reading them (after months of reading nothing but crime/mystery/noir, I'm taking a short break in the science fiction section).

Craig Larson Trinidad, CO