RARA-AVIS: cases by gores

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 15 Jul 2002

hi everybody!

just finished joe gores's _cases_. this is the first book i've read of his. a few months ago mario had posted about him so i picked this one up. it was a good book.

it starts out as a series of events in the life of pierce duncan. the characters are well done and the writing is interesting and insightful. there is quite a bit of vio- lence in the book. although i can't exactly put my finger on it, he reminds me of cormac mccarthy when he writes the violent scenes. i think its because these scenes are of- ten written in a detached, clinically precise manner.

i don't exactly know how to say this... let me try. gores generates the excitement and fear and danger of violence thru a quick and clean description, instead of pumping the narrative up with a bunch of emotionally charged adjectives and sentences. the contast between his unflinching description of the action and the actual action itself serves to accentuate it.

miker