Re: RARA-AVIS: William R. Cox

From: Etienne Borgers ( wbac1203@wanadoo.be)
Date: 13 Jul 2002

At 17:47 08-07-02 GMT, Bill Crider wrote:
>Probably not a lot of people these days know who William R.
>Cox was, which is too bad. He started out in the pulps and
>wrote hundreds of stories for them: sports, mysteries,
>westerns. Later he branched out into paperback originals
>both under his own name and as Jonas Ward (he took over that
>franchise sometime in the early 1970s, I believe). He wrote
>hardcover books, too, mostly juveniles and biographies.
>Last night I re-read HELL TO PAY, a 1978 Signet original.(snip)
> You won't be surprised by the action and
>violence, either, but you might by Cox's attention to
>character and by the good writing. Cox is one of those guys
>who was really good, but hardly anybody knows it.

Agreed. W.R. Cox's HB novels are unjustly forgotten. He produced them rather late in his career (mid fifties).

Besides the very good HELL TO PAY (1958)there are IMO two other titles worth the search: MAKE MY COFFIN STRONG (1954)- his best novel DEATH COMES EARLY (1959)

I do not know the details of his westerns production, as the genre (as novels) was never my prime interest.

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384