Re: RARA-AVIS: Kenny Rogers... & Marcel Montecino

From: dave ( birdlives@earthlink.net)
Date: 14 Jul 2002

nothing that would prepare one for his stunning follow up BIG
> TIME. Big Time concerned a New Orleans piano player with a gambling problem,
> who blows town in thrilling fashion to escape the local mob. he re-invents h
> imself, but falls for a beautiful singer in Rio who jumpstarts his
> songwriting career. of course, his new found fame leads his enemies to his
> door.
>
> SACRED HEART is period, set in New York during prohibition, and the
> protagonist is the trigger happy son of an Irish mobster. at least, so far
> it is. the blurb leads one to believe that after everything goes to shit, he
> hooks up with his older brother, a priest down in Mexico.

Back in the day, I was a huge fan of "The Crosskiller." And I echo Lau's sentiment on "Big Time." Loved it, thought it would make a great movie. Ron Bass wrote a script that was disappointing -- it lies around somewhere in development hell.

Tried to get through the typed manuscript of "Sacred Heart," but found the twenties gangster milieu uninvolving, since the territory had been overly mined in the past -- and the priest bit reminded me too much of Graham Greene's "Power And The Glory." Never finished the book.

Hearing his story, my guess is that Montecino was using while writing "Sacred Heart." To my mind, the quality was not up to the first two books ...

dave