RARA-AVIS: A Clockwork Orange

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 12 Jul 2002

> In a message dated 7/12/02 6:09:22 AM, kmontin@total.net writes:
>
> << Clockwork Orange ruined Singin' in the Rain for me with its very
effective
> use of that number. >>
>
> I was waiting for a discussion of this book to surface during our U.K.
month,
> or even as part of the bickering over colloquialism. its ultimate
theme:
> robbing a man of free will is a greater evil than allowing it, even if
his
> ultimate nature is evil, is noir to the nth. it's no wonder Stanley
Kubrick
> would be attracted to this material
>
> John Lau
> --
I loved the book & the movie but I'm not sure I see them as noir - although I think they are a big influence on "cyberpunk" & whatever label has taken its place & the influence of noir on cyberpunk etc is undeniable, IMO. In the same way I see Philip K Dick's stuff as not really noir but he is a huge influence on SF writers who also have been influenced by noir & hardboiled fiction. But why quibble? Great books is great books & A CLOCKWORK ORANGE certainly shares similarities with books that we have designated as
"noir", a term that's vague enough for us to interpret very widely. I'm curious about how other rare birds view the book (or movie). Do others consider A CLOCKWORK ORANGE to be noir? And if so, what about J G Ballard's HIGH RISE or CRASH or COCAINE NIGHTS?

Rene