Re: RARA-AVIS: Kenny Rogers... & Marcel Montecino

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 12 Jul 2002

> and just to keep the missive on-topic, I've finally pulled Marcel
Montecino's
> 3rd and final novel SACRED HEART off my TBR shelf. Montecino's debut
back in
> '88 was a pretty good cop story called THE CROSSKILLER that showed
flashes of
> brilliance, but nothing that would prepare one for his stunning follow
up BIG
> TIME. Big Time concerned a New Orleans piano player with a gambling
problem,
> who blows town in thrilling fashion to escape the local mob. he
re-invents h
> imself, but falls for a beautiful singer in Rio who jumpstarts his
> songwriting career. of course, his new found fame leads his enemies
to his
> door.
>
> SACRED HEART is period, set in New York during prohibition, and the
> protagonist is the trigger happy son of an Irish mobster. at least,
so far
> it is. the blurb leads one to believe that after everything goes to
shit, he
> hooks up with his older brother, a priest down in Mexico.
>
> Montecino's work is typified by searing dramatic scenes, as well as
> borderline gratuitous sex and violence. he made a big Hollywood score
in the
> early 90's and went on a huge substance abuse binge. he finally got
his shit
> back together and wrote Sacred heart, which as I recollect from the
book
> signing I attended, is ultimately about redemption. then he died. he
was
> not an old man, but the years had taken their toll.
>
> John Lau
> --

It's funny but I'd just been thinking about this guy recently & wondering what had happened to him. I'd read THE CROSSKILLER around the time it came out & thought it was very good - although I'm not sure why I read it, the paperback looked like one of those airport bestsellers; I must have read a good review. I read BIG TIME as well but for some reason it didn't really grab me. I don't remember anything about it now. It's a shame he passed away, I think the guy had a lot of potential & now he's practically forgotten.

Rene