Re: RARA-AVIS: Kenny Rogers

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 12 Jul 2002

> Well, speaking of QT, this is what he had to say about that:
>
> "[T]hat's one of the things about using music in movies that's so
cool:
> the fact that if you do it right, it's about as cinematic a thing as
you
> can do. You're really doing what movies do better than any other art
> form. It works in this visceral, emotional, cinematic way that's
> special. And when you do it right and you hit it right, then you can
> never really hear that song again without thinking about that image
from
> the movie."
>
> He goes on to say how, for him, Stand By Me is "owned" by the movie
The
> Wanderers and Be My Baby by Mean Streets.

I think Scorsese invented this stuff. That opening scene from MEAN STREETS made "Be My Baby" one of my all time favourite songs & the opening sequence one of my all time favourite beginnings to a film, ever. IIRC, all that happens is Harvey Keitel wakes up & opens his blinds & it's one of the most memorable scenes I've ever watched on film. Of course, the flipside is just about every boring Hollywood flick to come out in the last 20+ years has featured a soundtrack of 50's/60's pop hits. When it ain't done right it's very forgettable.

Rene