RARA-AVIS: Kenny Rogers and John D. MacDonald

From: T.Kent Morgan ( tkmorgan@shaw.ca)
Date: 11 Jul 2002

IN a message dated 7/11/02 12:45:18 PM, DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net writes:

<< Kenny Rogers was in the New Christy Minstrels, not the Electric Prunes.

John Lau replied, I thought he was in Kenny Rogers and the First Edition.

Well, you are both right. I knew that massive Virgin Encyclopedia of Pop Music that picked up at a Chapters clearance sale would come in handy. Roger started recording with a doo-wop group, the Scholars, and then recorded as a solo artist as first, Kenneth Rogers, and then Kenny Rogers The First. After that he joined The New Christy Minstrels and also played in a Minstrels splinter group called First Edition. When the group had its first hit, Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town, the record was credited to Kenny Rogers and The First Edition. I hate to think that I actually have Kenny Rogers in my basement LP collection on one of my Christy Minstrels records.

Also, Bill, that John D. MacDonald checklist will be very helpful and will go into my book file that I keep in my car at all times. It's just that I almost always forget to take it with me when book hunting in used bookstores and charity shops.

Kent Morgan in Winnipeg