Re: RARA-AVIS: Heirs of Selby

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 10 Jul 2002

Ah, Vollmann... Some time ago I picked up a book of his collected stories at a cutout table. There was one good story... and the rest was word-spinning. For $3.99 I can't complain, but I bet the guy at the local barbershop has at least one great story in him and it's included in the price of the buzzcut special.

The good thing is that, concomitantly (with the other paw) I picked up the hardboiled collection _The Pugilist at Rest_ by one Thom Jones, a young writer with plenty of chops. And, even more importantly (sorry, Selby influence), even more luckily, I picked up the collected stories by William Maxwell, the real stuff.

So I didn't get burned too badly at the cutout table. I claim a prize for the worst metaphor by a member of Raravis University.

Regards,

MrT