Re: RARA-AVIS: Geoffrey Homes/Daniel Mainwaring

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 06 Jul 2002

Medal
> > originals I AM LEGEND & THE SHRINKING MAN? Both great books, IMO.
>
> No, but I'll add them to my shopping list. They're both in print, I
think,
> unlike Matheson's crime (I'm assuming that's what they are, but I
don't know
> for sure)novels, which are incredibly hard to find. FURY ON SUNDAY,
SOMEONE
> IS BLEEDING and RIDE THE NIGHTMARE have been on my "to buy" list for
some
> time and I've yet to see an affordable copy (last price I saw quoted
on a
> RIDE paperback was £70).
>
> Al

A shorter version of SOMEONE IS BLEEDING - novelette length - was published in Justice magazine (a Manhunt clone, I think) & titled THE FRIGID FLAME. It was reprinted in the Gorman/Pronzini/Greenberg anthology AMERICAN PULP which is a worthwhile purchase even without the Matheson story. As Etienne points out Matheson wrote the screenplay for DUEL (the only Spielberg film I've ever liked). He also created the TV series NIGHT STALKER with Darren McGavin & wrote some classic SF/horror short stories in the 1950's which were a big influence on the early work of J G Ballard, a non-noir author who is as dark as you can get despite that.
(One of Ballard's more recent novels, COCAINE NIGHTS, is technically a murder mystery although in Ballard's hands the mystery aspect is completely unimportant, so in that respect it parallels hardboiled & noir fiction).

Rene