RARA-AVIS: Geoffrey Homes/Daniel Mainwaring

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 05 Jul 2002

A little while ago someone was asking about Homes/Mainwaring, whether he'd written any other novels worth reading aside from the classic BUILD MY GALLOWS HIGH (made into the seminal film noir OUT OF THE PAST with Bob Mitchum). Unfortunately I haven't read any of his other books but I thought the following info may be of interest to the person asking: under the name Mainwaring (I forget which one was his real name) he wrote a lot of Hollywood screenplays, including the screenplay to OUT OF THE PAST, which you probably knew. Today I just rented a copy of INVASION OF THE BODYSNATCHERS (considered to be an SF/horror/film noir hybrid by many people) & discovered that Mainwaring wrote this screenplay also. He has a good short story, again under the Mainwaring name, in the Oxford University Press anthology HARD BOILED (an excellent anthology & one that still seems to be in print, at least I saw a copy of the paperback in a shop just today).Hopefully some of this info is new & of interest to the person who enquired, or others.

Rene