Re: RARA-AVIS: library sale

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 03 Jul 2002

> Al mentions:
> James Dickey DELIVERANCE
>
> **************************************
>
> ahhh! another poet who supported the habit by
> writing novels. you know on a warm summer evening,
> when the breeze is just right, you can hear those
> dueling banjos from my back porch.
>
> the world as a lie.
>
> miker
> --
Coincidentally I just finished a piece about the movie version of DELIVERANCE for Australian crime fiction mag CRIME FACTORY. As I've mentioned CRIME FACTORY, and no-one else has, I thought I'd mention that the current issue has material in it from a trio of rare-bird stalwarts that may be of interest to some list members: Jim Doherty has an informative overview of Chicago cop fiction; Charlie Schaefer, an ex-Chicago cop, contributes a piece on what "harness bulls" (I'd guess that must be about half a century out of date by now) on the mean streets of Chicago chow down on during those long patrol shifts. I always thought that the most dangerous thing about the US was all the guns - now I think it might be the fast food - it surely kills more people. Charlie (with whom I share some cultural/ethnic background), seems a little quiet lately, so he may not be around, is a good bloke
( as we say here), & list member of long standing. I haven't tracked down a copy but he's the author of at least one novel, ON CABRINI GREEN which I believe has been published in the UK by Crime Time (warning: faulty memory). If anyone's read it, I'd be interested in opinions. Thirdly, a little piece by moi, on the post-noir (sorry) classic film, BLUE COLLAR. The editor of Crime Factory is David Honeybone, another list-fellow.Anybody who is interested should probably check out their website for more info: http://www.crimefactory.net/

Please excuse the blatant plug but I felt that some list members might be interested (well, I would be).

Rene