Re: RARA-AVIS: Eastwood adaptations

From: Terrill Lankford ( lankford2000@earthlink.net)
Date: 03 Jul 2002

Carrie Pruett wrote:

> I've heard very little buzz about "Blood work," the trailer is terrible
> (both times I've seen it in the theater, the audience groaned audibly),
> Eastwood's last hit was what? Bridges of Madison County?,

Eastwood's last movie was SPACE COWBOY'S and it had the biggest opening weekend ever for one of his films. It went on to bust 100 million domestically. They were happy at the studio.

I've seen the trailer twice as well and no one groaned out here. (Maybe it's the water.) The trailer I saw was mostly made up of still shots and narration and it was more of a teaser than an actual trailer. Is that what you saw? Eastwood made this flick so quickly that Warner's publicity department has had a tough time keeping up. That's one of the reasons there has been "little buzz." I'm sure a more detailed preview will start running soon.

> and it's not
> unusual to hear preproduction and casting news about films that never get
> made. That's all I'm saying.

True, but Eastwood doesn't even tell people at the studio what he's doing, let alone send out phony press releases. If he says he's going to make a specific project next, that's usually what he does. I'm glad he gave the nod to BLOOD WORK and MYSTIC RIVER, if for no other reason than the fact that it will give greater visibility to two writers I respect a great deal.

> The "Blood Work" film may be great. The
> "Mystic" film may be great - Helgeland cowrote LA Confidential, but he also
> cowrote "Payback" and the "Postman". What is pretty clear if this casting
> info is correct is that the "Mystic" film will depart significantly from the
> book. If Eastwood's directing and Eastwood's playing a character who's
> either minor or nonexistent in the book, it's pretty likely that the focus
> of the film will change substantially.

You may be right, but it remains to be seen. He took the supporting role in A PERFECT WORLD and let Costner take the lead and he's directed a number of films without acting in them. For all we know, Clint's role could end up being a glorified cameo.

> That's all. I'd love to be wrong, and your point that Eastwood can make
> anything he wants is probably true.

Hey, you could be right about everything and I may eat my words. I just think it's best not to jump the gun and speculate on these things. And I don't think it's ever wise to bet against Dirty Harry.

TL