RARA-AVIS: Crime Scene 2002

From: marianne.macdonald@lineone.net
Date: 02 Jul 2002

I've had the programme for a few days, though I've been too preoccupied with moving house to do things I might otherwise have...

Anyway, the dates are 11-14 July, and events (aside from a Sherlock Holmes strand) include a number of movies, noir and criminal, from Roadblock (1951) and Night and the City (1950) to a preview of Val McDermid's The Mermaids Singing.

The panels look unusually interesting (unusual if you compare them to some of the drek at one or two conferences I have attended, never mind that); they include among others The New Noir: Psychos, Goths and Dirty Realists, The Unusual Suspects in Pushjing the Envelope, Four Tough Guys and an Even Tougher Woman (Val of course will be there), Crime: a British Speciality with American Influence? - and so on.

If there is anybody within reach who doesn't know about it yet,this is at the National Film Theatre on the South Bank (ie London); the website is www.bfi.org.uk/crimescene, and the telephone number for booking is 020 7928 3232.