RARA-AVIS: Welcome to UK noir

From: Scatalogic@aol.com
Date: 02 Jul 2002

Hello all.

I'm a host, I hope that doesn't imply anything imoral, the tea pot is warming and there are biscuits on the table.

I hope those that want to have had a chance to read some UK noir or hardboiled. UK crime fiction seems to be in pretty healthy shape at the moment - although of course there is good and bad, personally I can't stand Arnott and am not mad on Timlin, who is generally well regarded and as a contributer to Crime Time and a critic for the Independent (well respected liberal leaning bradsheet newspaper) is influential as well.

Who do you like? Is there a Brit style? There is much talk of a new generation, Peace, Timlin, Arnott, Blincoe, etc etc, as Al will testify Scottish HB is thriving and distinctive.

I dunno folks, you know more than I do, but talk to each other damn you.

All the best, Colin, who has just done a Rankin blitz on the St Leonard's Years omnibus and an excellent reading of Hide and Seek by the superb Bill Patterson, a great story given what I think is the best reading I've heard for a flippin long time.