Re: RARA-AVIS: Shocked!

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 26 Jun 2002

<<Richard Moore said, "As with Mr. T's acknowledgement on the
'innocent of literature' remark, the 'often wrong, but never uncertain' line resonates strongly with me but I can't pin down where I read it or something very, very similar before.>>

Richard, I think this is a Mencken phrase (describing himself, of course). I will try to track it down.

Speaking of Mencken and the old school of assertiveness: Yesterday, as I looked at the new Fowler (the Burchfield revision), I realized how much the book has lost. I read Fowler for the same reason I read Mencken: brilliant rants. This has been toned down so much that the "New Fowler" reads like a mere dictionary. Yuck. At least I still have the 1926 Fowler, the real thing.

Captain Bill: please be kind on this offtopical digression, what a humungus pleonasm.

Regards,

MrT