RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V4 #376

From: Moorich2@aol.com
Date: 25 Jun 2002

I wrote:

<<
> My favorite Avallone title (and the competition is stiff for that
 honor) is
> THE CUNNING LINGUIST

 Rene commented:

 I'm assuming that this one is in the sleaze or porn genre. Otherwise, if
 it's one of his private dick novels, it automatically gets my vote for
 best/worst hb novel title. Just the fact that a "straight" p.i. novel
 had been printed with that title would make it a stand out.
 . >>

Yes, it was one of Avallone's sleaze novels, #20 in the Coxeman series published by Paperback Library in 1970, which by the time of my second printing in 1972 had been absorbed by Warner and was "Warner Paperback Library." All were published under the name Troy Conway and featured
"adventurer" Rod Damon, also known as "Capitalism's favorite tool."

Many featured espionage themes. Other titles in the series include: THE WHAM! BAM! THANK YOU MA'AM AFFAIR and THE BILLION DOLLAR SNATCH. Two played on then well-known cigarette commercial themes: I'D RATHER FIGHT THAN SWISH and JUST A SILLY MILLIMETER LONGER. Finally (and this is exhausting work), there was one untypically titled TURN THE OTHER SHEIK.

His mainstream (?) PI novels featuring Ed Noon include several with fun titles including the very first THE SPITTING IMAGE (1953). Another Noon title was THE ALARMING CLOCK.

As I said in my last message, it's hard to pick a favorite.

Richard Moore