Re: RARA-AVIS: Favourite hardboiled book titles

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 24 Jun 2002

> My favorite: A Swell Looking Babe by Jim Thompson
>
> -Dave Zeltserman

Which immediately brings to mind Thompson's HELL OF A WOMAN, another favourite title. Some of the old Gold Medal titles were ok, in a camp sort of way, the problem being that there was a sameness to the titles. You line up a random selection of GM titles and certain words, such as
"dead', "death" or umpteen variations, synonyms & metaphors for death abound. I know Peter Rabe, undoubtedly amongst others, was annoyed to have most of his books retitled to something like KILL THE BOSS GOODBYE. I think THE BOX may have been the only original title that GM kept intact.

Rene