RARA-AVIS: Back Forty

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 21 Jun 2002

FWIW: Jefferson Starship's "Miracles" likewise slipped past virginal radio-censor ears at about the same time, with the line "I got a taste of the real world/When I went down on you." Blondie had to be a bit more playful a decade or less later, with Debbie Harry singing "I'll give you some head/And shoulders to cry on."

Shall be looking forward to the novel in which Lou Reed and Debbie Harry solve the murder of Marty Balin by outraged Radio Nuns. TM

-----Original Message----- From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net [mailto: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net]

Rene wrote:

"Although censorship was rampant & one of Sydney's 2 Top 40 stations was run by the Catholic church the line about "giving head" was never censored because no-one in Australia knew what the expression meant at that time, at least not before "Walk on the Wild Side" came out."

Tha same must have gone for US radio, as that line was played, but
"colored girls" was deleted.