Re: RARA-AVIS: Algren's trip and Best Bad Noir

From: Peedie Monk ( peediemonk@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 21 Jun 2002

> > Mr T said:
>>Well, for noir so bad it's good, one needs to go no further
> > than certain titles by Jim Thompson (The Golden Gizmo and A
> > Swell Looking Babe, among others) and David Goodis (The
> > Burglar, among others. But I think the Cain and Algren
> > books I mentioned are tops, bottom-tops.
> >
> Rene said:
>Actually, I quite liked THE BURGLAR - & the film noir made from it,
> starring Dan Duryea, one of my favourite actors.

You're not alone, Rene. On 25th Jan 2002 George Pelecanos said, on this list,
"THE BURGLAR, by David Goodis, is my favorite noir novel, bar none. The last chapter is both shocking and beautiful. Trust me, you will never forget this book."

More ammo for the lets-reprint-all-of-Goodis-so-we-can-make-up-our-own-minds camp.

Al Guthrie