RARA-AVIS: Gone Fishin'....

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 18 Jun 2002

Dang! Life just keeps getting into the way of the important things, like reading Rara Avis. And here we are right in the midst of a great discussion of U.K. crime, too.

But sometimes a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do. I'll see you guys in a month or so.

Not that I'm totally deserting you. While you're all pining for me, you can drown your sorrows with the latest edition of the Thrilling Detective Web Site. It's our Special summer Fiction blowout "issue," with new stories by Peter Parmantie, David Cox, Ron Miller and Clayton Emery, and an excerpt from Mark coggins' new August Rordan book, Vulture Capital.

Fiction editor Gerald So did a really great job, I think -- these are just great stories, and some really great characters.

What else? Oh, yeah: There's a guy I know, Walter Satterthwait, doing a thing on some of the crime pulpsters, and he's trying to track down a picture of Raoul Whitfield. Anyone who has a photo of the author, or knows where one is should drop Walter a line at lunchor@earthlink.net. You'd earn his undying thanks. And your lawn mown for a year.

(I was kidding about the lawn).

And it was swell seeing Cap'n Bill, SchooleyD and Sandra's sis, Whatsername MacDonald, at Bloody Words. Kerry's one-on-one with Walter Mosley, and Bill's gab fest about music and mysteries (also with Mosley) were worth the trip alone.

See ya 'round, Birds.