RE: RARA-AVIS: Scottish UK noir

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 17 Jun 2002

bill crider (in response to me thanking him for the ebay link for rabe's _the box_):

I hope you're still thankful after you read the book!

well, from rene i've heard that the writing is lean and mean in the hammett tradition, and i didn't exactly care for red harvest (although i was happy enough with _the maltese falcon_), so there is a chance that rabe might not be my cup of tea, but as anthony said a while ago, even if i don't like it, its still an important part of the hardboiled tra- dition.

since we've been on a scots sorta thread for a day or so, i find this quote from gresham's _nightmare alley_ appropriate if i don't like the book:

Zeena poured herself a drink and took it in two swallows. "Liquor's terrible, Clem. It's that bad, I nearly left some--as the Scotch fella says."

miker