RARA-AVIS: OFFICIAL: Minor archives problem fixed

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 16 Jun 2002

A while ago I renamed a few directories in the archives, for example from 9905 (May 1999) to 199905. It looks like a lot of search engines had the old URLs indexed and didn't drop them for the new ones, so many people were hitting an old URL and instead of seeing it they'd be redirected to the archive home page. This is better than getting an ugly 404 error, but still not perfect. I got proper redirection working this morning, so now anyone trying to get to an old URL will be shunted to the new one.

The archives seem to be pretty popular. Late last year each month in the archives was looked at about 200 times, and a few months got more than 1000 looks.

Bill