RARA-AVIS: Get/Carter

From: K Montin ( kmontin@total.net)
Date: 15 Jun 2002

The discussion on get reminded me of these lines:

I'm so tired, I'm feeling so upset Although I'm tired, I'll have another cigarette And curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get . . .

                                        Lennon-McCartney

Trying to stay ahead, I've just read Carter, by Ted Lewis (first pub. as Jack's Return Home), with a youngish Michael Caine on the cover. A tough guy returns home (north) from London for his brother's funeral and stays to seek revenge. First person narrative with an interesting ending, technically speaking. Not sure if I really liked it, though I can see why other Rara-avians have raved. It's a kind of classic of the genre, English style. To me, the great thing is that the big shoot-out involves one, and one only, gun.--Oh, all right, three, but only one is fired. I bet the Stallone version ratcheted it up a notch or two.

I've got a couple of Timlin's (or should that be Timlins?) on the shelf, but am avoiding them for now and heading to the library for some Brookmyre, McDermid or other better prospects.

Karin