Re: RARA-AVIS: Matt Helm Movies

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 13 Jun 2002

> In most cases, the decisions on what movies are produced, and what
their
> ultimate form will be, are made by the people who finance them, who
are in
> large part, bankers, accountants, and these days- market researchers.
>
> John Lau
> --
Quite right, but even knowing that, somehow when you see the name of a director who has made movies that you admire being associated with a film there's always this optimistic sense that this film might be as good as previous efforts & we have been conditioned to see the director as the "author" of a film (auteur). It varies from project to project but a director's power is generally severely limited. My wife, who is a veteran of Aussie movies & TV productions (wardrobe/costume) has described one situation where the producer's wife had the power to override a director's decisions, indirectly, in relation to design & other matters ("Oh no, that's a terrible colour.It just doesn't suit her!") The man with the money is the ultimate decision maker. Knowing this, I shouldn't be surprised at finding out that talented people have worked on crap movies but somehow I usually am - well, perhaps not surprised, just disappointed.

Rene