RARA-AVIS: Brit Noir - GBH by Ted Lewis

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 12 Jun 2002

I think the Brit noir discussion is current - at any rate, I've just read GBH by Ted Lewis. I've read GET CARTER(aka JACK'S RETURN HOME) previously & I like it almost as much as the great movie version with Michael Caine. JACK CARTER'S LAW was fairly disposable although it had some minor interest as a prequel to GET CARTER. GBH is a return to form, IMO. The style is more literary than GET CARTER which,IIRC, was written in a more no frills, hb (in a UK stylee) language. Story wise, it's very similar territory to the earlier novels. It also reminded me of one or two Peter Rabe novels such as KILL THE BOSS GOODBY that deal with the emotional & psychic disintegration of modern businessmen/gangsters during the downward trajectory of their careers - although more brutal than anything you could get away with publishing at Gold Medal in the 1950's. I found it a little slow going at first but by the time I'd finished it I was engrossed. I liked this one a lot - not as much, perhaps as the best Rabe novels, but more so than Rabe's AGREEMENT TO KILL, which isn't a bad one but not top-drawer Rabe, IMO. Anyone out there able to comment on some of Ted Lewis' other criminous fiction such as JACK CARTER & THE MAFIA PIGEON?

Rene