RE: RARA-AVIS: Influences: Nathanael West

From: William Hagen ( billha47@hotmail.com)
Date: 11 Jun 2002

The darkest part of Huck Finn, seems to me, is when Col. Sherburn faces down a mob that wants to lynch him for shooting the town drunk. Shotgun in hand, he tells them that they are all cowards, and that if they want to have a chance to lynch him, they need to do it the Southern way, with sheets over their heads, accompanied by at least half a man.

Another good Twain noir title would be The Man Who Corrupted Hadleyburg.

Bill Hagen