RE: RARA-AVIS: rabe and westlake

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 11 Jun 2002

MrT said about westlake's _the hook_: It's a terrific (as well as terrifying) noir novel: one of the three or four best books he's ever written. By the way, have you read The Ax, which is one of those three or four?

Even if you don't think as highly of these novels as I do, I guarantee you won't be able to put them down...

finished it! great book. you were right... i couldn't put it down. now i'm anxious to read _the ax_, since al and bill and mark (hope i got that right) thought it was better than _the hook_.

the book reminded me of several other books. the new york yuppie total disregard for life reminded me a bit of ellis's _american psycho_, and the slow descent into craziness and the accompanying ramblings reminded me of thompson's _killer inside me_. the dark humor reminded me of some of kurt vonnegut's books.

to be honest, when i got the book home and read the plot summary on the back of the book, i groaned. some- how, the idea of a writer writing about writers didn't appeal to me at all. but when i dove in, i found it well written and fun. if he writes his "light" work as westlake, i'm scared to think of what he writes as stark. ;-)

miker