RARA-AVIS: UK Theme of the Month

From: T.Kent Morgan ( tkmorgan@shaw.ca)
Date: 09 Jun 2002

Talk about timing. The two latest issues of Crime Time arrived in the mail from England Friday with pieces on Graham Hurley, David Peace, Gerald Kersh and the acclaimed Dark by Kenji Jasper. On Friday, I also picked up a copy of Crime Unlimited by David Hume (1943), described as "a breathlessly exciting thriller of London gangsters who make a specialized business of crime - smash-and-grab raids, holdups and even murders" and Quintin Jardine's Thursday Legends about the murder of a Scottish football (soccer) player. I think heard somewhere that the World Cup is underway. And I am off to Yorkshire and London in mid-July. Sitting near the top of my TBR stack are Poet in the Gutter by John Baker, Jake Arnott's The Long Firm, Dougie Brimson's The Crew, The Chalon Heads by Barry Maitland and a couple of Mark Timlins and Val McDermids. Any suggestions where I should start?

Kent Morgan in Winnipeg