Re: RARA-AVIS: RE: Pat Chambers

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 Jun 2002

Ray,

Re your comment below:

> He's not hard-boiled, but there was always Inspector
> Cramer, Nero Wolfe's
> antagonist and sometime ally. While the individual
> Wolfe novels were short,
> the sheer volume allowed Cramer to become a more
> fully realized character.

Cramer even starred in his own non-Wolfe novel, RED THREADS, some time in the late '30s.

As for Pat, I think he's quite well-realized, particularly in the Hammer "comeback" novel, THE GIRL HUNTERS, in which Pat and Mike are estranged. Certainly he's a more developed character than his two closest counterparts, Police Chief Gentry in the Mike Shayne books and Homicide Captain Phil Samson in the Shell Scott books.

If I had to pick a favorite "cop best friend" character in PI fiction, though, it would be real-life gangbuster Eliot Ness in Al Collins's Nate Heller series. He went Cramer one better and was spun off, not merely into a solo novel, but into a whole series.

JIM DOHERTY