RARA-AVIS: RE: Pat Chambers

From: dlochte ( dlochte@adelphia.net)
Date: 07 Jun 2002

BobT wrote:

<Heck, that half broke neon Miller Beer sign buzzing in the front window of my corner bar is a more interesting character than Pat Chambers.>

Not having seen the broken sign, I'm willing to take your word for it. But let us not forget that prior to old Pat most cops in hardboiled novels were dumb antagonists. And those that weren't were not brimming over with personality. Think about Marlowe's pal, Bernie Ohls. Today, mirroring real life, just about every PI has a pal on the Force. Most of these are used primarily for exposition. If they have any more dimension than Pat, it's probably because today's PI novels are nearly double the size of Spillane's.

Dick Lochte