Re: RARA-AVIS: drugs, sex and other stuff

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 06 Jun 2002

Kent asked:

"Does any know of a mystery novel where the protagonist is twenty-something, the bulk of characters are twenty to thirty-five and dwells in the milieu of nightclubs, drugs and sex?"

Acid Casuals and Jello Salad by Nicholas Blincoe certainly fit this bill. I'm guessing his later books do, too, but I haven't gotten to them yet.

There are Trainspotting and the short story collection Acid House by Irvine Welsh. Morvern Callar by Alan Warner (nice book, echoes of Camus's Stranger) is partially set in the rave culture in Ibiza.

There were also a number of books in the Backstreets line put out in the UK by Boxtree a few years ago. They were an attempt to provide a contemporary version of Richard Allen's skinhead books. Each novel was set in a different club scene -- ragga, techno, two-step, etc.

There's Deadmeat by Q, which was initially serialized by a clubgoer, who sold photocopied chapter installments at clubs.

All of these are British. I can't really think of a US corollary. Well, there was Death of a Punk by John Browner, set in the late '70s New York punk scene, but its protagonist was an outsider.

Mark