Re: RARA-AVIS: carroll john daly

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 04 Jun 2002

--- Michael Robison < zspider@gte.net> wrote:
> i'm looking for a good and popular representative
> novel of his. from
> what little i've seen (listed used at amazon), it
> looks like _snarl of the
> beast_ (is that correct?) is a good one.

SNARL ought to be pretty easy to find. It was re-printed once in the late 80s and again in the early 90s, IIRC. It's also pretty typical Daly. There's also a collection of Satan Hall stories from about the same time, I think, but I haven't read that one.

> i don't think i'm interested in a collection of a
> lot of his works, but i
> appreciate the offer. actually, i hate to see you
> sell something that
> you've obviously gone to a lot of trouble
> collecting. but if you want
> to sell, i would recommend putting it on ebay and
> asking high dollar.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I'm selling anything. I just meant that I have some of Daly's earliest stuff, and could probably get you some photocopies or something if there's something in particular you're looking for. Daly's stuff, particularly his earliest stuff, can be very hard to come by.

> and by the way, is your daly thesis available in a
> computer-friendly
> format? i'd like to read it.

Yes and no. Until the end of June, it's available at

http://www.geocities.com/gcupper3/Daly_Gender.html

But it's not my thesis. My thesis was written on the doppelganger in Southern detective fiction, and revolved mostly around John D. MacDonald and James Lee Burke, although plenty of other folks are mentioned.

G.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal http://www.lightningbell.org/