Re: RARA-AVIS: Reprinting the lost classics

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 04 Jun 2002

--- Rene Ribic < rribic@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Personally, I'm glad to have the material available
> for me to decide
> which are the good ones & which aren't). And what is
> junk to one reader
> may be a flawed masterpiece to another(again, see
> Thompson reprints).

I can't agree more. From a question of literary scholarship, which is often an important consideration if an author is going to be "re-discovered" by larger presses, the fact that one or more works by an author are considered to be his best because of sales figures or popular appeal means next to nothing. Right now, it can often be easier to publish articles on works that are basically unknown to other scholars--usually the more obscure works of more obscure authors.

G.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal http://www.lightningbell.org/