Re: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled Classics 1998

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 03 Jun 2002

Al wrote:

> With regard to the others: "The Big Clock" isn't noir/hardboiled
> and it defeats me what it's doing in this list.

Although I didn't think the book was that bad, it doesn't really hold-up to the other classic novels in the Library of America Noir omnibus ed's, for example. I think THE BIG CLOCK is sort of border-line noir but perhaps it's main claim to noir-status is the well known film noir movie version, starring Ray Milland. I suspect a handful of mystery novels have come to be viewed as noir because of noir film versions & this is probably one of them.

Rene