Re: RARA-AVIS: Reprinting the lost classics

From: Peedie Monk ( peediemonk@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 31 May 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Buzz" < BuzzMeeks@attbi.com>

> I'm just curious what long-out-of-prints books list members would love to
> see reprinted? Certainly there has to be a bountiful group of deserving
> candidates. Personally, I'd like to see Elliot Chaze' "Black Wings Has My
> Angel" and the book "Detour" by Martin Goldsmith. (am I right in assuming
> this is the book the cult classic flick is based on?) Like Rene said, it
> would also be nice to see Willeford's "The Black Mass of Brother Springer"
> re-issued, because although Black Lizard did it in the '80's, it's
virtually
> impossible to find for less than sixty bucks.

Buzz, you'll be sorry you asked. I'd like to see all James Cain, David Goodis, John D MacDonald, Jim Thompson, Charles Willeford and Cornell Woolrich in print. A short time ago I compiled a list of my favourite out of print (in the UK) HB classics. I've omitted the authors mentioned above, for the reason mentioned above. The following are titles I've read recently that I consider exceptional. On the extremely unlikely off-chance that an interested publisher is reading this, I have a copy of all the texts.

Edward S Aarons ASSIGNMENT - TREASON Malcolm Braly FELONY TANK Gil Brewer 13 FRENCH STREET W R Burnett LITTLE CAESAR Paul Cain FAST ONE Thomas B Dewey A SAD SONG SINGING Bruno Fischer FOOLS WALK IN Donald Hamilton DEATH OF A CITIZEN Day Keene TO KISS OR KILL Day Keene SLEEP WITH THE DEVIL Day Keene HOME IS THE SAILOR Gerald Kersh PRELUDE TO A CERTAIN MIDNIGHT Dan Marlowe DOORWAY TO DEATH Dan Marlowe THE NAME OF THE GAME IS DEATH Richard Marsten BIG MAN William McGivern THE BIG HEAT James McKimmey CORNERED! James McKimmey THE LONG RIDE Wade Miller GUILTY BYSTANDER Vin Packer THE DAMNATION OF ADAM BLESSING Richard S Prather TAKE A MURDER DARLING Peter Rabe BRING ME ANOTHER CORPSE Peter Rabe THE BOX Mickey Spillane I, THE JURY Mickey Spillane KISS ME, DEADLY Donald Westlake THE MERCENARIES Lionel White THE MONEY TRAP Harry Whittington WEB OF MURDER Charles Williams HELL HATH NO FURY Charles Williams SCORPION REEF Charles Williams AGROUND Charles Williams DEAD CALM

Al Guthrie