Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Recent readings & what to read next

From: Jim Beaver ( jumblejim@prodigy.net)
Date: 29 May 2002

Rene wrote:
 (Which, by the way pretty much sums up
> what I know about Mineo, aside from the fact that he was in REBEL
> WITHOUT A CAUSE with James Dean & some other less memorable flicks).

SOMEBODY UP THERE LIKES ME, EXODUS, THE LONGEST DAY, CHEYENNE AUTUMN, THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD, etc.

> don't mind Elroy speculating about lowlife such as Edgar Hoover & Carlos
> Marcello but vilifying innocent & harmless entertainers such as Spade
> Cooley's bass player & Sal Mineo seems both unnecessary &
> extraordianrily vicious - unless Elroy has knowledge the rest of us
> don't, & it's always possible he does, then I can't help but speculate
> why he chose these people to create such nasty myths about. Surely these
> guys aren't so long gone they don't have any friends or loved ones left?
> I guess none close enough to sue.

I think the basic law is: the dead have no rights, of privacy, reputation or property. Estates have some rights, but not the dead themselves, and, in general, not family and certainly not friends.

I haven't read the Ellroy books in question, so I can't comment directly on his viciousness. But he's married to a former Los Angeles theatre critic who is as professionally vicious as they come, so who knows?

Jim Beaver