RARA-AVIS: drink before the war: Joy

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 28 May 2002

>Is gang warfare like biker wars--going on in
>Boston or Montreal but not in the broadcast area for my local news?

Lehane has often commented that the Patrick and Angie books aren't intended to be realistic/naturalistic. There's a bad-dream/horror quality to them that lets me swallow things that I wouldn't buy from most other writers. Lehane is always having to talk about how Boston is actually a relatively safe, low-crime city just like he has to talk about what a great family he came from, since people are apparently constantly reading "Drink" and assuming that his dad beat him - No dispute that "Drink" is a gorey book and not for everybody. If you found this one hard to take, in fact it might be the least extreme of all the P&A books. ("Mystic River" is in a different style, with some crime scene gore but relatively little violence).

Carrie