Re: RARA-AVIS: crime/anti-crime

From: Peedie Monk ( peediemonk@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 27 May 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rene Ribic" < rribic@optusnet.com.au>
> You can count me in as someone with a preference for "crime" novels
> (according to your definition) & I think you've done a very good job of
> explaining why I do have that preference.

That's good to know. I was beginning to wonder if I made any sense at all.

>I was thinking in terms of
> believability but that doesn't explain liking authors such as Woolrich
> or even Goodis. It would be interesting to work out where Chester Himes
> (the "Harlem" novels) belongs according to these criteria - technically
> he'd be in the "anti-crime" camp but I feel he belongs in the "crime"
> camp. I could argue the case but I don't have the time but one thing I
> will say: as far as "procedurals" go, there don't seem to be a hell of a
> lot of procedure going on.

Apart from which, Coffin Ed and Grave Digger Jones behave like gangsters. They don't do much detecting. They prefer head-bashing and deal-making. And solving crimes becomes less and less of a priority as the series progresses. Great characters. But great policemen?

> Anyhow, Al, thanks for the stimulating new take on classification -
> quite frankly, I'd grown rather bored with similar discussions but
> you've definitely brought an interesting & fresh perspective to that
> particular thread.

Thanks, Rene. As long as I'm not boring everybody...

Al Guthrie