Re: RARA-AVIS: crime/anti-crime (was long post on spillane - now long post on Woolrich)

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 26 May 2002

> Others on the list, I'm sure, must feel like that. Or the opposite (I
can't
> believe that some people don't have a preference for police
procedurals and
> PI novels). In my case, I think my preference stems from the fact
that
> solving mysteries (or the mechanics thereof) interests me much less
than
> abnormal psychology or the psychology of characters in extreme
situations.

> Al Guthrie

You can count me in as someone with a preference for "crime" novels
(according to your definition) & I think you've done a very good job of explaining why I do have that preference. I was thinking in terms of believability but that doesn't explain liking authors such as Woolrich or even Goodis. It would be interesting to work out where Chester Himes
(the "Harlem" novels) belongs according to these criteria - technically he'd be in the "anti-crime" camp but I feel he belongs in the "crime" camp. I could argue the case but I don't have the time but one thing I will say: as far as "procedurals" go, there don't seem to be a hell of a lot of procedure going on. Anyhow, Al, thanks for the stimulating new take on classification - quite frankly, I'd grown rather bored with similar discussions but you've definitely brought an interesting & fresh perspective to that particular thread.

Rene