Re: RARA-AVIS: Reading list

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 25 May 2002

Eric,

My own take on your reading list below:

> Adam Hall - The Quiller Memorandum

The first (and probably best) entry in my all-time favorite spy series, it won the Edgar for Best Mystery Novel and a French award in the same category.

> Donald Hamilton - The Ambushers
> The Ravagers

If Quiller's number one in my estimation, he only beat Matt Helm by a nose. I've thoroughly enjoyed every Helm I've read, though the earlier, tighter, pre-1976 novels are more satsfying to me than the later, longer entries that seem to be self-consciously breaking for the "Ludlum blackbuster" category.

> Martin Cruz Smith - Gorky Park

Liked it. Didn't love it. It won the British Crime Writers Golden Dagger bor Best Novel.

> Ross Macdonald - The Underground Man

Any Macdonald is worthwhile, but the later ones were never as satisfying to me as the earlier ones.
  JIM DOHERTY