RE: RARA-AVIS: Nowhere Near Dead

From: Anderson, Erick (ETW) ( Erick.Anderson@Nike.com)
Date: 24 May 2002

> Hi Al (and all) --

        Well it's not a small town in Montana, but it is a small city somewhere in middle America. The name comes from the fact that the protagonist is thought killed at the end of Act One, which starts a chain reaction of bad things happening in town. He comes back to try to straighten things out after his best friend is murdered:

> PETE
> ... He's dead, and if I had told myself the truth
> long ago, he might still be alive. I never had the stomach for politics --
> crooked or straight. That's why I never did anything with that evidence: I
> never had the guts. I never even had the guts to turn it over to someone
> like Dan, someone who would do something with it.
>
> ANNE
> Don't torture yourself, Pete. There's nothing you
> could do.
>
> PETE
> We'll see about that. I've already been murdered
> once, and I've lived through it. I died again when Dan did. And the way I
> figure it, I've died a little every day I've left that evidence rot in my
> safe without doing anything about it. But I'm standing here now, today, as
> proof that I'm nowhere near dead. We've got no one to help us but each
> other.
>
> ANNE
> That's not true. You've got plenty of friends.
>
> PETE
> No, you were right. I didn't see it until now. You
> told me once that everyone around me were sycophants and leeches. I
> haven't made many real friends in this town; now one of my only real
> friends is dead.
>
> ANNE
> I'm your friend...if you'll let me be...

        If anyone would like to read the rest, please let me know. I'd be happy to send it to you.

        Best Regards, Erick