Re: RARA-AVIS: more recently bought

From: abc@wt.net
Date: 24 May 2002

> Gerald Butler - Mad With Much Heart
> Jack Ehrlich - Court Martial
> Day Keene - Dead In Bed
> John D MacDonald - The Last One Left
> William McGivern - Night Extra
> Whit Masterson - Killer With A Badge
> Mickey Spillane - The Last Cop Out
> Charles Williams - Finally, Sunday (aka Confidentially
> Yours, aka The Long Saturday Night)

The Charles Williams book is minor Williams, but that's still better than most everybody else. The Jack Ehrlich is well worth reading. He's an under-rated, undiscovered writer (though I'm not all that fond of his series books about the parole officer named Flick). The JDM is one of his hardcover "big" books, and a pretty good one. I read the Spillane when it came out, and it's OK but certainly not the same kind of thing you find in the Hammer books. The Day Keene is also OK, but not top shelf. The Whit Masterson is good. I haven't read the others.

Bill Crider