RARA-AVIS: 1st & 3rd

From: Moorich2@aol.com
Date: 23 May 2002

I say walk the batter and set up the double-play but that will be confusing to the non-US participants.

I have heard people declare that they have no interest in reading a PI novel that is not in the first person. More than once I've recommended a novel and been asked if it's first person, said yes, and gotten the "only first person" statement. It takes all kinds.

The great Fred Brown wrote one novel with four or five different first person viewpoints and another novel with nine or ten third person viewpoints. He often experimented with the form. The results varied but he was seldom boring and when he got it right, wow.

Richard Moore