RARA-AVIS: re:1st & 3rd?

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 23 May 2002

MrT wrote:
>First person also seems to lead to a lot of filler
>dialogue, which I find annoying.

?I'm not sure how this follows, can you expand? Do you mean because the narrator has to get info from others through dialogue?

>I know for sure that Westlake's Parker novels would not
>work in the first person. The character could not preserve
>his mystique.

I feel the same about Joe Pike and I don't know if "his" sections of LA Requiem would have worked in 1st person.

Some people say they don't like to read first person because it contains the word "I" too much but I don't really get this; if you feel that way, do you refuse to read letters or email from your friends? :) Personally, as a reader the repeated "I" sounds a lot more natural to me than the constant repetition of "he," "she," or the character's name in 3rd person. As a writer, I always find it a big challenge not to begin every 3rd person paragraph with a character's name; I find repeated "I's" a lot easier to deal with!

carrie

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx