RARA-AVIS: Poodle Springs, Age, Casting

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 22 May 2002

Jim Doherty wrote:

>>My point wasn't that Caan wasn't (or Newman
wouldn't have been) well cast as an "aging Marlowe," only that the "aging Marlowe" was a conceit of the film, not the book.<<

Jim has made some good points on this subject, but I read the book long before I saw the movie--as a matter of fact, I just saw the movie for the first time about a month or six weeks ago-- but I had the sense of an aging Marlowe and if not aging, at least world weary. I don't remember anyone saying his age in the book, but even if Parker had--

Forty something was a hell of a lot older than today, as was fifty something. They were much older ages than now.

But forty-something even then wouldn't have been the way Caan played it.

I still think Newman would have nailed it.

All opinion, of course.

Jack Bluds

===== THE BIG SWITCH, by Jack Bludis http://designimagegroup.com/bigswitch.html Coming in September: THE DEAL KILLER
"New Guy on the Block" in MYSTERY STREET