Re: RARA-AVIS: Errors

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 22 May 2002

--- Mario Taboada < matrxtech@yahoo.com> wrote:
> After reading Dead Man, I wondered if Joe Gores,
> who,
> besides being the modern Hammett, is a thorough
> researcher,
> has ever tried to hold a cottonmouth in his hand...

Nevermind doing it while wounded and otherwise motionless on a boat in the middle of a lake in the hot sun. AND the cottonmouth has to spontaneously develop gills to remain underwater for an exceptionally long time--hours, I think--AND must also remain motionless lest the bad guy know it's there.

I enjoyed this book, but hated this scene. I don't mind so much that it's not realistic; I don't think fiction has to be realistic to be good. But it does have to be believable, and this scene doesn't even come close.

G.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal http://www.lightningbell.org/