RARA-AVIS: poodle springs movie

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 22 May 2002

>The film (which I didn't think was half-bad, actually,
>and I rather like Caan, though I do agree that Newman
>would've been better) made Marlowe at least 15 years
>older than he was in the book, and the Linda figure at
>least 10 years younger.
>JIM DOHERTY

This is like choosing champagne or caviar - I'm all about Paul Newman, but Caan is one of the Great Ones in his own right. Granted, Newman is closer to what I think of as Marlowe but I'd like to see Caan in the role. is the film available anywhere?

Even as a veteran, Caan's gives off this sense of tightly wound internal energy where you never quite kEven as a young man, there was always a sense of leisure about Newman; one reason his characters are so fun to watch is that even when you know what they're going to do, they take their own sweet time getting there. Different styles, great results.

As for Marlowe's age in the movie, this is the sort of story that just cries out for a "veteran" actor and of course most male leads are just getting started at 40. I mean, George Clooney and Tom Cruise are 40 or thereabouts, it would be hard to buy either of them as an "aging" Marlowe.

carrie